Cactus

Cactus is an ex Fellows, Morton & Clayton (FMC) motor boat, built by Yarwoods on the River Weaver in 1935. It was the hundredth motor boat built for FMC, and carries a brass plaque on the cabin side announcing this fact. Cactus is powered by a single cylinder Bollinder semi-diesel engine which produces the unmistakeable, and slightly irregular beat associated with these engines.

Cactus has been owned by Malcolm Braine for many years, and has been loaded with coal at our yard for various destinations, generally crewed by Henry and Phyllis Johnson, but occasionally by Ian Braine.

coalboat@waitrose.com © John Jackson 2014